If your anything like we are, you love chocolate! And what better way to satisfy that chocolate craving than to make brownies.
However, these are not your regular brownies. They are so much better than that. These would have to be the most mouth-watering and fudgy, coconut oil brownies we have tasted and tested.
It’s safe to say, these are the go-to brownies and the ingredient that makes them all the better is coconut oil.
So why coconut oil in brownies you may ask? Well if you have kept up with the latest trends and what’s “hot” right now, you may notice that coconut oil seems to be all the rage. So we decided to integrate the much raved about this oil into our much loved brownie Recipe.
It’s with very good reason that everyone is in love with coconut oil, not only does it have many uses it is loaded with health benefits and has very little flavour.
If you are worried about your brownies having a “coconutty” flavour. Don’t be alarmed. Coconut oil has the most subtle and an almost unnoticeable flavour. It never leaves an after taste, if anything coconut oil makes the Brownie moist and gives it the Brownie texture.
We have tested many recipes with coconut oil, substituting other ingredients in favour of the coconut oil. Each time we were pleasantly surprised with the results, and it has made us believers in its properties and cooking genius.
Have you ever noticed in the past that your brownies have been dry? Well, say goodbye to dry brownies as coconut oil can change all of that. Adding this oil can really change that end result, giving you a much denser and moist brownie.
To be frankly, It’s so easy these days to run out and grab a brownie from the local store. However, making them at home and adding that secret ingredient can make them that much more tastier. Bought ones are no match for the home made ones, especially when they contain coconut oil and all the benefits associated with it.
Decadent and Fudgy Dark Chocolate and Coconut Oil Brownie Recipe
- 115g Dark Chocolate (you can substitute for milk or white chocolate if you’d prefer.)
- 1 cup Coconut Oil (make sure that the oil is solid. Place in the fridge if it is liquid)
- 1 cup Brown Castor Sugar
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar (light brown)
- 3 Eggs and 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla (vanilla extract, vanilla essence. Either or will work fine)
- ¾ Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Cocoa
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat your oven to 180’c. Line a baking tray or brownie pan with baking paper, leaving a slight overhang on the two long sides. (Easy brownie removal after they are cooked)
- In your large heatproof bowl (glass cooking bowl works best) combine your coconut oil and chocolate, microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Until your ingredients come together melted and smooth
- Allow to cool to room temperature before adding your sugars and eggs to the mixture.
- Next, add your vanilla.
- Then add your flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt
- Now stir all of the ingredients until just combined. DON’T OVERSTIR
- Slowly pour the batter evenly over the tray or your pan and bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
(Bonus Tip: Using wooden skewers is always best, as any uncooked batter always sticks to a wooden skewer. Toothpicks work great too!)
Lastly, allow your brownies to cool completely before cutting them up into squares or whatever shapes your little heart desires. Try not to devour them all at once! As this is a very moist brownie recipe, chilling the cooked brownies and then dusting them with icing sugar is always best for two reasons. #1 They are easier to cut into portions #2 Brownies are super tasty! You will be able to store your brownies in an airtight container for up to 2 days and they will last in the fridge for up to 6 days.
Happy baking and enjoy!