If seems that most healthy foods don’t please the palate, while unhealthy foods tempt you with tastes from heaven. If only we lived in a world where desserts could be healthy.
Oh wait, we do!
The trick is to know how to make your desserts to taste good, without using too many fattening oils or sugars.
Maybe even adding a little fruit to your dessert can elevate the healthiness even more!
Bananas, for example, are packed with lots of potassium and fibers, which can help with heart health. Another way to improve your heart health is to substitute your regular vegetable oil, with the oil from yet another fruit, the coconut!
Here is a simple, and easy to make banana bread coconut oil recipe that satisfies every sweet tooth, without clogging your arteries!
Here are the ingredients and baking instructions for you to follow:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 1 ¾ cups flour (whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup of honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup of milk or water
- ½ cup mixed walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins (optional)
- 2 pcs. eggs
- 2 large bananas (mashed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (plus additional for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 165 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the coconut oil with honey using in a large bowl. Add the 2 eggs and stir them together. Then put in the mashed bananas and milk.
In case the coconut oil solidifies upon contact with other ingredients, just let the bowl rest in a warm area for a couple of minutes. You can put it on top of a stove or warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.
- Add in the baking soda, put in the salt, mix in the vanilla extract, and sprinkle the cinnamon. Then whisk it together. Use a spoon to mix in the flour.
- If you’re putting any additional ingredients such as nuts, chocolate chips or raisins, you can throw them in.
- Place the batter into an oiled pan and distribute the extra cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Usually, if there are no additional ingredients, your bread should be ready in 55 minutes but if there are add-ons, it should be set for 60 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool off in the pan for 10 minutes then take it out and let it cool for another 20 minutes. Then serve it to your guests.
You can also alter your ingredients to make it vegan or gluten-free depending on your preference.
After your bread is done, you have enough servings to serve 5 to 6 people (or in my case, one, since I would eat the whole thing).
This bread is perfect to bring to events, or just satisfy your sweet tooth! And the best part? It is relatively easy to make, and also, very healthy!
Rather you’re 7 or 70, this is a versatile recipe that everyone can enjoy.